Drive Faster World Wide
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport

2 posters

Go down

The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport Empty The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport

Post  MotoYeti Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 am

The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport James_Gordon_Bennett_jr

I'd like to try and organise a race series based on the very earliest ideals of International Grand Prix Racing. The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport. This could be up to 12 races on 12 different circuits.

The very basic rules are that competitors solely represent their nation as opposed to themselves or a race team/club. The series will be held in the traditional motor racing off-season, the northern hemisphere winter. The cars will be GT racing cars only, balanced for speed and performance (using power handicaps if required), and must be painted using the traditional International Auto Racing colour associated with their country, e.g. Italy - Rosso Red, UK - Racing Green, USA - White with Blue Stripes / Blue with White Stripes and so on as a base colour to any paint scheme.

Each race "weekend" would be split over two days, with qualifying taking place at 1400 local on the Saturday and using drag tyres (the local time being determined by the country of the track being raced). This session would last for 30 minutes and would require no pit stops, but would see any participant not reaching 106% of the pole time not qualifying! The race would then take place the following day using a standing start format, also at 1400 local time. The race would be a 180km distance and will require each competitor to make a minimum of three pit stops.

Different wheel and tyre combinations can be used, as long as the car is still within the specified Performance Index and is not fitted with drag tyres at the start of any of the races.

All assists except the Automatic gear shift and auto braking will be allowed.

Unlike almost all other forms of racing, drivers do not score points individually; instead the points they earn are ascribed to their national team. This means that teams could change drivers between rounds, which is often necessary because some drivers had commitments in other formulae, and still accumulate points to their score.

Points are awarded for the first ten places: 15 for the winner, 12 for second place, 10 for third place, 8 for fourth place, 6 for fifth place, 5 for sixth place, and so on with 4, 3, 2, and one point for tenth place. In addition, one point is awarded to the team that set the fastest single lap time in the race. Prizes are to be determined.

The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport is awarded to the team which accumulates the most points over the course of the season.

This would be a massive undertaking and would take a lot of organising, but I'm sure if we did it right and got some big prizes on the table, we could attract a lot of interest in the series.

What do you think? Could this work or would we have to make it more of an inter-club championship and not a national one? Thoughts?
MotoYeti
MotoYeti

http://www.impossibleimports.com

Back to top Go down

The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport Empty Re: The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport

Post  AngelGeek Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:11 am

I suspect the national representation will be a bit unbalanced.
I also suspecy the 106% thing would mean I didn't qualify.

And for my 3rd suspicion, multiple days and changing start times are going to cause problems.

Other than that, sounds like a fun idea

AngelGeek

Back to top Go down

The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport Empty Re: The Gordon Bennett World Cup of Motorsport

Post  MotoYeti Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:46 am

AngelGeek wrote:I suspect the national representation will be a bit unbalanced.
I also suspecy the 106% thing would mean I didn't qualify.

And for my 3rd suspicion, multiple days and changing start times are going to cause problems.

Other than that, sounds like a fun idea

Thanks for the feedback, maybe once I get a few more peoples opinions and ideas we can flesh it out some more? Wink
MotoYeti
MotoYeti

http://www.impossibleimports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum